Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman

You're waiting for the postman - he's bringing your exam results. University, a career as a journalist... a glittering future lies ahead. But when the doorbell rings, it's your old girlfriend; and she's carrying a baby... your baby.

She's had enough and now it's your turn.

What would you do?

From the author of the bestselling Noughts and Crosses sequence comes a dramatic and controversial novel, one that will take you on a journey from tears to laughter and back again.


17-year-old Dante lives with his father and younger brother Adam. Dante has finished his A-levels and is waiting for the results. He wants to go to university and become a journalist, when his old girlfriend Melanie, who he hasn't seen in nearly two years turns up with a baby. Dante's baby. She leaves the baby, a girl called Emma, with him after telling him she can't cope anymore. From there, the story begins. Dantes life takes a turn for the worst. Or maybe not. Dante doesn't know what to do. Will Melanie ever come back?Will he put Emma into care? And what disturbs Dante the most, is that he feels nothing for Emma. Nothing at all. Read all about what Dante chooses to do in this touching novel of family, love and freedom.

I saw a review of this book on The Mile Long Bookshelf and I thought it looked really good, so I went out and bought it. And I'm  glad I did too! This novel is superb. It has a wonderfully unique storyline, great characters and it's written very well. My favourite character is Adam, Dantes brother. I liked him because he isn't ashamed of who he is, and I think he's a great role model for teenagers. This novel is quite sad though, and I'm not very good with sad, real life novels, so I didn't enjoy the sad parts as much as I did the rest of the book (well, I suppose that's kind of obvious!).But apart from that I found absolutely
nothing wrong with this book! In fact I liked it so much, I'm now reading another of Malorie Blackmans books, Noughts and Crosses,  and there will be a review of that up soon.

I would give this book 4/5 because I enjoyed reading it (apart from the sad bits) and like I said it was written very well, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes touching, real life fiction(does that make sense? Real life fiction?Hmm....). 

Official Publication Date: 28th October 2010
Publisher: Doubleday

3 comments:

  1. I see what you mean about 'real-life fiction', but it definitely makes sense to me! Great review - I loved reading it. I really enjoyed this book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I don't usually buy Malorie Blackman books but this one really had me wondering whether I should. And I did and I wasn't dissapointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! This is a really great review on a book I really like! I really love your blog, if you've got any spare time, i'd love it if you could visit my brand-new blog Bookie Bubble (bookiebubble.wordpress.com) thanks <3

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)