Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Medusa Project: The Set-Up by Sophie McKenzie

Fourteen years ago, scientist William Fox implanted four babies with the Medusa gene - a gene for physic abilities. But Fox died and the babies were hidden away for years.


Now they're teenagers - and unaware that their physic  powers are about to kick in.


Cocky, charismatic Nico thinks his emerging telekinetic abilities will bring him money., power and the girl of his dreams. He's about to find out just how wrong he is...


I've read one of McKenzie's books before, Girl, Missing, and I LOVED it! So I was really eager to read this one. The Medusa Project series has been recommended to me before, but I was told that The Set-Up wasn't as good as the others, because (hence the name), it was kind of setting the scene for the other books, so there wasn't as much action. But I thought that there was plenty of action scenes, so I really enjoyed it.


To be honest, I didn't really like any of the characters. They were all quite annoying. Well, if I had to pick my favourite, it would probably be....Fergus, Nico's step-dad and the principal of the boarding school he attends. At the beginning of the story, Fergus seems to be over-protective and controlling of Nico, but in the end it turns out he was -sort of - right. But the rest of the characters I just didn't like.


My overall rating is...4/5. Or 5/5. Hmm, which one? I know, 4.5/5! Perfect! It lost the 0.5 because of the character quality .Or rather lack of character quality. But regardless, I would recommend it, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, The Hostage. You know, almost all books nowadays have sequels, don't they? Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just saying. But still.
Well, bye wonderful readers!


Age Group: 11+
Official Publication Date: 06 July 2009
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Ltd.
Author Website: www.sophiemckenziebooks.com


This review was done as part of the British Books Challenge, which you can find out about at The Bookette.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, really interesting review! Thanks! I haven't read this one, and you've intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!
    I can't wait to start reading Girl, Missing...you inspired me to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love that book, I LOVE the full Medusa Project series actually!! XD I'll follow your blog, it's awesome!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the characters though... Nico and Dylan are my favourites. :) The other books are way better, the newest one is the best but the one with yellow cover is awesome too (don't know the names of them lol). Girl Missing is AMAZING!!! I've read it 8 times lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat-Thanks, glad you like my blog, I'm glad you liked the characters!

    Zoe-Fantastic, I know you'll love Girl, Missing!

    Luisa-You definitely should read it, it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog makes me wish that school didn't take up so much of my time. I wish I had time to read again...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)